Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Apple Pie, zucchini wraps, smoothie and cracker recipe

Hello,

I just need to take a minute to vent. Where I live we run on electricity and propane. In my old house I used to have to fill the propane tank a few times a year, and a bit more in the winter. Keep in mind I am in Northern California so it is not like we are getting close to zero or anything. I moved into a new house last December and have had to fill the tank 3 times now at 400.00 a pop, that is almost once a month. Something has to be wrong, I have not been using the stove, the heater has been set at 60 at night and around 65 or so when I am home, it is just my daughter and I, can we really be using that much? I have someone coming out to check for a leak today (another 96.00 to the propane company) so we'll see what they say. If there is no leak... do I really have to budget 400.00 a month for propane on top of the PG& E bill? That is crazy!

Anyway... on Sunday I made the Apple Pie from Ani Phyo's Raw Food Kitchen book, Mackenzie and I loved it so I thought I would share the recipe. I cut the recipe down because I didn't want 16 servings.

In food proccessor:

1 cup almonds


Proccess, but not to powder, and add
1 cup medjool dates
dash of sea salt




process again



Press mixture into individual
 dessert cups or a small bowl after adding a little almond flour to the bottoms




(Helps to get your fingers a little wet)

Cut 2 peeled apples into thin slices and add 1/4 cup raisins and 1 tablespoon cinnamon



In the food proccessor...
1 small orange
about 6 dates

proccess into a syrup, you may need to add a little water


add syrup to apple mixture and toss



Spread apples into each cup onto the pie crust. Enjoy!

This morning I made a green smoothie with...

1/2 cup nut milk
1/2 cup coconut kefir
1 banana
5 drops vanilla stevia
1 small orange
ice
3 leaves kale

Blend and enjoy... the coconut kefir makes it tangy and creamy... LOVE it!


Zucchini Wraps

1 zucchini
splash of Braggs liquid aminos
2 tablespoons flax meal
sea salt

proccess in food proccessor



spread onto non stick dehydrator sheets


Dehydrate at 145 for an hour then drop down to 105.
Take them out when they are dry but still pliable. Wrap your favorite veggies inside and enjoy.

Cheese Crackers

So, I just finished a bag of chees-y quackers from One Lucky Duck and I loved them, but not the price. Here is my attempt at recreating them...

1 cup soaked almonds
1/2 cup flax meal
sea salt
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 red bell pepper

Proccess until smooth, add water if you need to. You want it to be thick, but easily spreadable.
Spread onto teflex sheet...


Start at 145 for a hour and drop down to 105. After 4 hours peel back non stick sheet and continue to dehydrate until dry. 




1 comment:

  1. OMG what a great post! the apple pie from ani..i did a spin off kind of of hers, and made it all fall. god it's so good

    in the middle of this post, there are links to multiple pics/recipes of it if you're curious

    http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2010/02/raw-vegan-caramels-and-nut-butter.html
    and the crackers you made...so good looking, great eats my friend!

    ReplyDelete